Hi! I’ve been busy baking today, because my sister is going back to uni after being home for the weekend and insisted she couldn’t leave without something yummy.
So what should I bake? A simple classic: the lemon drizzle cake. I just love it, because it has a chewier crust and a really moist inside, with a crunchy, sugar topping! What could be better?
It’s so easy, and the results are fab, give it a go, you won’t be disappointed!
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 225g self-raising flour
For the drizzle topping:
- juice 1½ lemons
- 85g caster sugar
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.beat 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. (add a bit of the flour if it starts to curdle)
- Sift in 225g flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined. Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mix.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 1/2 lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve