WOW! My grandma is 90 years old!! Now, i suppose you all realise this is a very very large number and what is the best way to celebrate anything? CAKE. Her favourite flavour is lemon, so i figured i could accommodate to that, since it is her birthday.
It’s pretty simple really, and for the decoration i used one of the easy rose cutter tools which are AMAZING, and i would totally recommend it to any of you who are beginners on flowers, it is so so so easy to use!
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- juice of half lemon
For the filling:
- 300g butter
- 600g icing sugar
- 50ml lemon juice
- enough lemon curd to spread over in the middle
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C. Grease and line two baking tins. In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together to a smooth, soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon, then bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, mix the lemon juice, icing sugar and butter in a food processor until smooth. Chill until needed.
- When the cake is cool, smooth buttercream over the middle of the cake, and then a layer of lemon curd.
- Put the second sponge on top, then cover completely in buttercream.
- Decorate however you would like!