Like I said, my mum is on a quest to lose weight, but she is also on a quest to beat menopause, and to do this she has been set on a strict diet that will include lots of soya and no wheat etc., meaning that tasty meals can be hard to come by.
LEXI TO THE RESCUE!
this lasagne is completely meat, wheat, and dairy product free!
The pasta sheets are wheat free and instead of milk and butter for the white sauce it is just soya milk and blended cauliflower- a lot tastier than it sounds, i promise!
Also, everyone should definitely get a garlic crusher like this, they’re soooooooo good!! just shove the peeled clove in and twist. Easy peasy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 2 x 400g cans lentils, drained, rinsed- dried lentils can also be used, just cook according to instructions, and then add
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp mushroom ketchup
- 1 tsp chopped oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 2 cauliflower heads, broken into florets
- 2 tbsp unsweetened soya milk
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- wheat-free (or normal) lasagne sheets
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, carrot and celery, and gently cook for 10 mins or until soft. Add the garlic and courgette, cook for a few mins, then stir in the lentils and cornflour.
- Add the tomatoes plus 2 thirds of a can of water, the mushroom ketchup, oregano, stock powder and some seasoning. Simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the cauliflower in a pan of boiling water for 10 mins or until tender. Drain, then purée with the soya milk using a hand blender or food processor. Season well and add the nutmeg.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Spread a third of the lentil mixture over the base of a ceramic baking dish. Cover with a single layer of lasagne, snapping the sheets to fit. Add another third of the lentil mixture, then spread a third of the cauliflower purée on top, followed by a layer of pasta. Top with the last third of lentils and lasagna, followed by the remaining purée.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 35-45 mins, removing the foil for the final 10 mins of cooking.