My mum has been on a diet for as long as I can remember, so has asked me if I could please stop baking tempting treats, but of course I told her this is an outrage! I can’t possibly stop baking, so for her, I am making a lower calorie ‘skinny’ blueberry muffin so she can enjoy a treat but still try and lose weight.
I love that the batter goes a really nice purply colour with the blueberries in it! If you want to substitute the blueberries for a different type of berry, that would work as well and taste just as scrummy!
Each muffin contains 170 calories, if you make 12 with the recipe, and if you are doing the slimming world diet, each one has 8.5 syns on the extra easy diet 🙂
- 250g Self-raising white flour
- 1½tsp Baking powder
- 50g Margarine low fat
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 100g Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 large eggs
- 235ml skimmed milk
- Lemon juice from half a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Sieve flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl, then rub in mragarine until well combined and resembling breadcrumbs
- Stir in the sugar
- In a seperate jug, whisk together the milk, eggs and lemon juice, and then stir into the flour mixture
- Fold in the blueberries, being careful not to crush them
- bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
Also, before baking you could sprinkle a spoonful of oats over each muffin for extra tastiness!